2009/07/09

Interviews, interviews, interviews

That's all that has been on my mind lately - Interviews
Mentioned earlier but to re-cap for the hell of it:
I've applied for a position as a "Technology/Technical Support Officer" for the Aussie Govt's 'Digital Education Revolution' (DER) program where every student in NSW will eventually have a netbook each - A Lenovo S10e - I'm guessing the 'e' means edu model/version. ie: dumbed down hardware specs

So far, I have applied for 3 regions of Sydney: Western, North and CBD schools
Each region has allowed each applicant to apply/try-out for 5 public/govt schools of their choice.
As for my choices...... I've completely forgotten what schools I chose... ^^"""""

So far, I've already had an interview for the North region and I think I did pretty successfully for that - The interviewers were the North region manager and the principal of Cheltenham Girls High - Both were really nice people and were great to talk to.
That interview would officially be my first interview EVER!!! - The region manager commented that I did pretty well for a first-timer. There were 3 questions and they were pretty general and easy to answer:
1. "How do you handle problems"
2. "How do you organise time"
3. "What do you require to work?" Context was along, personal requirements: Do you need an egro chair?, table height?, wheelchair access?... those kinds of 'personal requirements'.

And there's todays interview - At the prestigious Sydney Girls/Boys Selective High School.
There was a panel of 4 interviewers: The IT manager from the Boys section of the school and one from the Girls section of the school, the CBD region manager and this one other guy... I never figured out who he was; our introductions were limited to handshakes and were very brief. He probably was a principal of either the Girls or Boys school - I guess he had a 'wise' look to him.

Compared to the first interview, I was definitely much more nervous - Saying 'umm' alot and making those classic 'beginner mistakes'. *sigh*
There were 4 questions which were much more 'business styled' which reflected the kind of high calibre person that they're looking for:
1. "What kind of professional skills do you have/can/will you bring to our school(s)"
2. "How would you prioritise these tasks" (3 immediate tasks, reorder to importance and why)
3. "High Schools have people on many different knowledge levels of computers. What kind of strategies would you make to cater for the less 'computer literate' people out there" (paraphrased)
And the 4th one... I forgot again.

For question #3, I don't think I gave a satisfactory answer as one of the interviewers asked "What other strategies can you think of?" - That really hit me at the time and afterwards, as I could only think of one strategy at the time. I could only kick myself in the head while driving home - I guess it happens alot after these kinds of things. You think of awesome answers to questions only AFTER it's all over and done.

All that's left so far is 2 more interviews: One at Sydney Technological High on Tuesday next week and one for the Western region on Thursday next week also. I'm still hoping that the "Conservatorium of Music High School" will call me. I really want to go there...

Oh well, all I can do now is prepare my best for the next coming week!

頑張れぞ~~~!
Cyberchaos

7 comments:

  1. holy cr@p that sounds intense. i would go blank and break under those conditions ...for i am weak ^^;;

    but your getting through them and learning as you go, good luck on the other 2 interviews! hope you get the job ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the upcoming interviews!

    I have a feeling I won't do great in interviews in future... ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  3. mine was pretty bad that day when I was got the interview. Rumors said there are conspiracy among some of the peeps in Ministry of Education, which they play dirty. ==

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I haven't had a job interview in a while. The one I had for this one had a lot of mistakes, but they hired me anyway ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you found out how you went in the interviews?

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck on your first job today ^^

    ReplyDelete