2009/08/10

The job of my dreams

Well where to begin???!!!

It's obvious that I have been ignoring this blog again... Much has been happening lately.
First things first. The remainding interviews had went ahead with 50% success.
The interview out at Syd Tech High didn't go well at all. I forgot several documents and totally botched the entire interview - Totally died. But the principal did give me VERY good advice about interviews. I think thanks to her advice, I managed to do well in the Western Sydney interview.

The Western Sydney interview went splendidly. There were only 2 scenario questions that i had to answer and they were very straight-forward. But there were many ways I could have approached the scenario. To my experience, every approach can be a good approach. The trick is being choosing the 'best' approach.

The 2 questions ran along the lines of:
  1. "BSOD occurs. What could be the faults and how would you handle this issue if client required a working machine immediately?"
  2. "Student with malfunctioning netbook is in rage and demands you attend to the issue immediately. How would you handle both student and issue?"
The 1st question was very easy and straight-forward. I gave them a textbook answer with a few personal twists here and there.
The 2nd question was more 'how would you handle situations that require psychological experience'. Thank goodness my sister is a 'Masters of Social Psychology' and I have a bit of experience from her. So I took a totally different approach than the usual IT method. That suprised the interviewers a bit and the interview turned from an 'interrogation' into a light-hearted conversation.
I could definitely say that I enjoyed that last interview.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, the resultant is that Western Sydney called me back confirming that I made it through all the background checks and child protection checks and have cleared me for employment at: None of the 5 schools i wanted... and offered me another school BUT!

I asked him whether there were other schools that were avaliable or didn't have someone assigned to them yet. And yes there were! There was one applicant who also applied to the Western Sydney region and another region. Obviously like me, he/her also wanted to try hitting multiple locations. This person had been offered (omitted). And so I requested to wait on the school hoping that the other applicant would take another school in the other region he applied for. A few days later they called me back.

And I got it.

So far they've confirmed verbally through phone and through email. All I'm waiting for are forms for me to sign detailing payment of salary, tax, government employment formalities, etcetc.
I begin on Aug 17 '09 which is 7 days from now and finish on 30 June '12 which is 3 years'ish from now. Starting yearly salary is $AUDxx,xxx which isn't bad for a temporary full-time position. (And for someone who's never worked a minute in their life for a salary before... ^^""")

Everything is moving so quick, it's scary - I've only been unemployed for about 2 months since finishing college and already I'm joining the workforce. Ironically, this current period is probably the most difficult time to get a job anywhere in the world.

The weather is pretty cold recently with small spots sunshine. I've been using the floor heater a lot lately but that's going to hike up the electricity bill again ^^""" It's been gradually getting warmer lately, signalling the eventual end of Winter into Spring bringing it along a new season of anime ^^" (Southern Hemi here btw for those confused)

Due to work, my so called 'holiday' is now cut down to a mere 6 days to go. This marks the beginning of a new section in my life; a different road; "a new beginning".
This also marks a new beginning of my blog where either daily or weekly, I'll be blogging about the workings of a high school in the life of a Technical Support Officer.

Ah- I apologise for the lack of updates on Blue Gravy and the resulting length of this post because of that. Well, that's pretty much all that I can think of worth posting ^^

12 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!! going through all those interviews musta been rough, but you made it through ^^

    im curious about the advice your got about interviews from the principle, can you share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @rockleelotus: one of them was: There will ALWAYS be a last question and you MUST answer it: "Do you have anything else to add?" - This is basically your chance gloat about yourself and make yourself appear 'different' from other candidates. ie: Your time to shine - Just don't overdo it

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratz again, dont forget 2 give thanks to God, whu got the job for you!! =)

    btw, ive also started blogging on my xanga

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you'll fix up all the technical problems at school. We've had really clueless ones tech people before(all women what to expect XD). I'll give you a shout out at school when I come back from exams.

    James Wong, never heard of that until now. We've had James Rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on getting a job at Ruse~

    Like the above poster, I've never heard of "James Wong". Interesting. 8)

    Good luck for the three years. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. or

    James Ruse Asian High School.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, and I wish you the best of luck in your new position.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.

    Lol, you'll find a lot in common with us.

    We all like our anime XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anime! Yay! (Yeah I'm a Rusian too)

    Welcome :P We're (mostly) friendly XD

    Hope to see you around =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I talked to you on Thursday about passwords...hehe.

    ReplyDelete